Dallas DSM: Veterans! What Would You Do To Improve The Site? - Dallas DSM

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Veterans! What Would You Do To Improve The Site?

#26 User is offline   JV 

• Super Deluxe Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Vehicle:92 Talon TSi

Posted 11 March 2009 - 11:25 AM

Just like I was telling one of the mods, we all need to chill out, just ignore the people that get in our nerves and move on, no point in getting upset over what someone said or anything.

I do understand both views here, but really, we are adult, lets act like it. Junior staff, follow the rules, if you have an argument, black it up, Moderating staff, lighten up a bit smile.gif

#27 User is offline   Launch 

• Super Deluxe Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:...
  • Vehicle:'92 Galant VR4 395/1000-92gvr4634 91CSM 96Z28 91tsiawd 90gsx 90GT

Posted 11 March 2009 - 12:50 PM

i see no problems. I'm glad i have a mod staff thats willing to keep the order around here

#28 User is offline   pnishr 

• Mr. Burns
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:GUNS!!!!!, working out, movies, driving, women, drinking, but I hardly have time for all that with work and school.
  • Vehicle:96 TSi AWD, 2000 Cherokee 4x4, 2 M35a2's

Posted 11 March 2009 - 12:59 PM

I don't know who "junior staff" are, but the moderating staff does what it feels necessary to limit the amount of SPAM/TROLLING on the boards. And in almost all cases (except for the couple of newbies that show up and act retarded) the mods ARE lenient in the application of the rules. Which is why there are (at least two who shall remain nameless) members on here that still have active accounts when the general impusle of the entire staff was to ban them for their shenanigans and fighting on the board... We want to welcome anybody to the community. But rules are to be followed. and for as much of a Nazi as I AM about rules, and my belief in the need for enforcement, even I (and the others) generally go the "nice" way about hadling things. whether that's just deleting irrelevent posts, or suspending members that might otherwise be banned for stupidity...

We generally err on the side of caution when the thought of excluding a member of the community comes up.

Oh, wait, there are actually about 4-5 that have been discussed at length for being banned... but it didn't happen. So we're already "lightened up" about as far as I can even stand.

Follow the rules, don't be (repeatedly) retarded = don't get banned/suspended.

pretty simple.

If you have a problem, be a man (or woman) and bring it up with a mod... either the one you have the problem with (as Joel has done with me, and I respect him for that), or another if you don't feel you'll be heard... but being childish and spreading CRAP all over our boards will not be tolerated.

#29 User is offline   JV 

• Super Deluxe Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Vehicle:92 Talon TSi

Posted 11 March 2009 - 01:14 PM

Junior Staff = non moderators

Just going by the chain of command.

But yes, so far the moderating team is doing great, rules are meant to be enforced and followed not broken.

Lets cut the bullshit and start acting like grown men. That goes to everyone.

#30 User is offline   PullOver! 

• Hive Mind Honorary Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I like hitting fuel cut while listening to White Snake.
  • Vehicle:91 TSi FWD red and black w/ f. capacitor

Posted 11 March 2009 - 01:15 PM

I liked the mods lighten up a bit idea. People that don't share the same opinions are often walked upon here.

edit: I also don't remember signing up for the military when I joined this DSM board... or gun training... or zombie training... or a political meeting/debate.

This post has been edited by PullOver!: 11 March 2009 - 01:16 PM

#31 User is offline   ligo12 

• Old has been.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned
  • Vehicle:Don't go breaking my heart

Posted 11 March 2009 - 01:20 PM

QUOTE (PullOver! @ Mar 11 2009, 01:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
edit: I also don't remember signing up for the military when I joined this DSM board... or gun training... or zombie training... or a political meeting/debate.

You are not required to view topics in those sections.

#32 User is offline   pnishr 

• Mr. Burns
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:GUNS!!!!!, working out, movies, driving, women, drinking, but I hardly have time for all that with work and school.

Posted 11 March 2009 - 01:22 PM

QUOTE (PullOver! @ Mar 11 2009, 01:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Which is why it's a "free dsm-country" and you don't have to engage in those topics if you choose not to.

Edit: damn-it, Brian beat me to it.

Edit 2: and Matt.

Edit 3: if you feel you're being walked upon, let somebody know... it's not a free pass to be stupid and spam all over the boards.

Have I ever walked on you for anything? That's a legitimate question... if the answer is no, which I think it is, then you should consider me a trusted source within the hive-mind. biggrin.gif

#33 User is offline   PullOver! 

• Hive Mind Honorary Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I like hitting fuel cut while listening to White Snake.
  • Vehicle:91 TSi FWD red and black w/ f. capacitor

Posted 11 March 2009 - 01:36 PM

No no no... nobody walked on me, but I see it happen to new guys a lot.

And if you'll notice, I do not go in those sections of the board, thanks for the permission to continue not going in there.

I got banned recently because the owner of this site was "tired of my bullshit." ... and we're being told to act like adults around here? I think EVERYONE needs to act like adults around here. Nobody can even state an opinion that differs from what "the norm" is without risk of being ridiculed into looking like a fool.... with about 4 other people to back it up.

Ever since all that bullshit in that one thread (yes, that one)... I don't even care to post much here, and I don't really feel that many of these people that were "friends" were ever even really friends... it's a real impersonable environment here if you're not one of the "established" few.

In light of not posting, I've been PM'ing some of the new guys to tell them to not worry about the people here that are acting like dicks... and doing what I can to lead them in the right direction... YES, that's right, I'm holding their hand and leading them in the right direciton instead of taking on that same attitude that many have of if you give a man a fish... blah blah blah...

edit: and to avoid pissing most of the people in power off, I won't be saying anything else about this topic because it's too touchy and I don't have the blessing here to say what I want.

This post has been edited by PullOver!: 11 March 2009 - 01:43 PM

#34 User is offline   pnishr 

• Mr. Burns
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 March 2009 - 02:02 PM

You've got my blessing.

lub-ew. wub.gif

You were banned?

But you're still here... with your same post count...

yes, it's true... an opinion outside of the norm might be ridiculed... but isn't that real-life? If you think something different, and express that belief, you're always at risk of being assailed. Either don't express it (that's free choice) or express it and be prepared to defend it. If others still think you're wrong, that's their choice too... Copernicus wasn't always regarded as correct, you know.

the recent issue is that somebody had their opinion knocked down, and instead of standing up, they lit the house across the street on fire. And then 4 more houses... that's not respectable. having your feelings hurt when your opinion is questioned isn't cause to break other rules. Think L.A. riots....

#35 User is offline   sam 

• Resident Pinhead
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Vehicle:90 Talon, 07 Mustang

Posted 11 March 2009 - 04:26 PM

Wow. I go to the office for the day, and look at all the fun I missed biggrin.gif

No one asked my opinion, but I'm going to tell you what I think anyway. That's the beauty of a public forum in which people are free to express their opinions. You're free to continue reading, or not. I genuinely don't care either way.

You know what I think? I think we have a mostly solid userbase with a few uneducated/unintelligent, immature cry babies. Since I know that will rub several people the wrong way, allow me to elaborate.

What really cracks me up about this forum is that, by it's name, you would think the majority of discussion would be DSM related, or at the very least CAR related....

Well, it often isn't.

There are a multitude of reasons for this, but the main one is that unless you're talking about a project build or introducing yourself, the information you seek is most likely one of a ) already here (use the search box), b ) somewhere else (use google (which indexes this site as well)) or c ) off-topic . Once you've exhausted the first two avenues (or you just need someone to help you) then by all means ask for help. It is not my intention to say "If you have to ask you're either stupid, or haven't looked searched hard enough" (even though that's often the case), but "Have you looked at all?". If you don't like being riduculed for asking a stupid question, either spend some time trying to figure it out for yourself, or post in the RTFM free zone.

As for the off-topic portion (half?) of the board ... it's just that. If you don't want to talk about guns, politics, etc, then stay out of those sections. If you venture in there, spend some time reading the previous threads. It should become immediately obvious that some of the members that frequent those sections are of above average intelligence, and if not, certainly of above average education.

While the focus of this board does slip into non-car topics pretty regularly, it's mostly just because of the fact that there are a lot of people here that are like minded with regard to the topics of those sections. Dissenting opinions are healthy conversation, but keep all of the above in mind while "playing devil's advocate for fun", and be prepared to defend your viewpoint against what may be multiple people that probably know more about the subject than you do. If you can keep from getting all butt-hurt over it you might even learn something, but if nothing else, it will make you better at research and critical thinking, which will help you locate information you might need about your car smile.gif

I think the admins are pretty relaxed, and quite often too much so. Remember, it could be a lot worse ... They could put me back on the staff wink.gif

P.S. This post doesn't reference any one individual in particular, so no one needs to get their e-feelings hurt.

P.P.S. The idea that disagreeing with the mods gets you banned is stupid and childish which are, incidentally, qualities that often result in your being banned. I personally disagree with or challenge the mods here on a weekly (if not daily) basis.

This post has been edited by samiam: 11 March 2009 - 04:53 PM

#36 User is offline   MintyFresh 

• I work here!
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Vehicle:92 MR2 Turbo

Posted 13 March 2009 - 04:40 PM

Why don't we just let whoever say whatever they want provided it is not a personal attack, for instance "you are a faggot" or an outright threat, for instance "I am going to fucking kill you and eat your babies, literally. I will deficate the remains of your family tomorrow"?

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users