• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Short Words In Search Function

#1 User is offline   m3smgii2002 

• Noodie
  • Group: Members
  • Vehicle:'97 Talon TSi AWD

Posted 08 April 2009 - 09:55 PM

Common words like "2G", "A/C" would be really useful as valid terms in a search of the Classifieds. Maybe only ACRONYMS need to be supported as this would cover 99% of all searches.

Thanks,
-M

#2 User is offline   Jtuned_Soldier 

• Almost-A-Regular
  • PipPip
  • Interests:MMA, Gym, DSM's, Music, Electronics, Mechanics, Skate/Snowboarding, Contact Sports, Restoring antique furniture & bird watching, being sarcastic
  • Vehicle:2010 Titan Crew Cab SE 4x4 Galaxy Black

Posted 16 July 2009 - 12:33 AM

I totally agree with the above. I feel its worth trying to improve. I use the search feature alot.

Example: wanted to search up AMS cars. Used AMS performance, etc and most of the replys came back with "performance" and only 1 or 2 "AMS" links.

Also: The 5 min (300 second) flood control for multiple searches is a bit long. Waiting 5 mins to research when you have a typo sux.
If the penalty for multiple searches is such a wait, I feel forums users will be less reluctant to use it IMO.
Unless its that high cuz of google searches, visitors etc then I understand the reasoning behind the restriction.
I would find it more convienient to lower it down to 150 seconds.

#3 User is offline   turboinline4 

• If it looks like HP and sounds like HP, it's false!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:My little girl Lexi, DSM's, Sea-Doo's, SNOWBOARDING.
  • Vehicle:'01 Jeep, '03 Explorer Sportrac, '92 Talon AWD

Posted 16 July 2009 - 07:09 AM

I wasn't aware that the flood limit applied to the search feature. I've dropped that down to 30 seconds for users with less that 50 posts. Also, I knew about the Search word limit. In IPB2 I couldn't change that. IPB3 I am allowed to, so the short word limit has been dropped to 3 letters. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

View PostJtuned_Soldier, on 16 July 2009 - 12:33 AM, said:

I totally agree with the above. I feel its worth trying to improve. I use the search feature alot.

Example: wanted to search up AMS cars. Used AMS performance, etc and most of the replys came back with "performance" and only 1 or 2 "AMS" links.

Also: The 5 min (300 second) flood control for multiple searches is a bit long. Waiting 5 mins to research when you have a typo sux.
If the penalty for multiple searches is such a wait, I feel forums users will be less reluctant to use it IMO.
Unless its that high cuz of google searches, visitors etc then I understand the reasoning behind the restriction.
I would find it more convienient to lower it down to 150 seconds.

#4 User is offline   sam 

• Resident Pinhead
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Vehicle:90 Talon, 07 Mustang

Posted 16 July 2009 - 08:42 PM

View Postturboinline4, on 16 July 2009 - 07:09 AM, said:

I wasn't aware that the flood limit applied to the search feature. I've dropped that down to 30 seconds for users with less that 50 posts. Also, I knew about the Search word limit. In IPB2 I couldn't change that. IPB3 I am allowed to, so the short word limit has been dropped to 3 letters. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Can it be 2? At least in the tech section?

CAS
IDC
MAF
FPR
EGR
PCV
etc

:)/>

#5 User is offline   turboinline4 

• If it looks like HP and sounds like HP, it's false!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:My little girl Lexi, DSM's, Sea-Doo's, SNOWBOARDING.
  • Vehicle:'01 Jeep, '03 Explorer Sportrac, '92 Talon AWD

Posted 27 July 2009 - 10:51 PM

Sam, it has been dropped to two letter limits. Sorry for the delay. I was going to do it but forgot about doing it. Enjoy.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users