• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Editing Classified Ads

#1 User is offline   krazytsi 

• I live here!
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Mountain biking, road biking, playing musical instruments, eating oreos, growing sea monkeys, and eating warheads
  • Vehicle:1992 Talon TSI AWD

Posted 09 February 2009 - 10:57 AM

Is there any way we can do this, because i would like to update my thread and list new parts without having to create a new thread.

#2 User is offline   sam 

• Resident Pinhead
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Vehicle:90 Talon, 07 Mustang

Posted 09 February 2009 - 11:01 AM

Just reply in your original thread?

I'm reasonably sure that the edit time is a global setting, so if the staff lets you edit a post that's 30 days old, you can edit ALL of your posts that are 30 days old. While I don't personally see what the problem with that would be, it's not set up that way.

#3 User is offline   krazytsi 

• I live here!
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain biking, road biking, playing musical instruments, eating oreos, growing sea monkeys, and eating warheads

Posted 09 February 2009 - 11:31 AM

QUOTE (samiam @ Feb 9 2009, 10:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm reasonably sure that the edit time is a global setting, so if the staff lets you edit a post that's 30 days old, you can edit ALL of your posts that are 30 days old. While I don't personally see what the problem with that would be, it's not set up that way.

Yeah i can do that, i was trying to just keep the clutter down. But i suppose it wont make that big of a difference

#4 User is offline   turboinline4 

• If it looks like HP and sounds like HP, it's false!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:My little girl Lexi, DSM's, Sea-Doo's, SNOWBOARDING.
  • Vehicle:'01 Jeep, '03 Explorer Sportrac, '92 Talon AWD

Posted 09 February 2009 - 11:34 AM

QUOTE (samiam @ Feb 9 2009, 10:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sam, you hit the nail right on the head. I wished I could do it where you could edit the classifieds and nothing else. But, I don't. The reason we have it set up the way it is, is we don't want someone to start talking trash and then edit the post and pretend it never happened. I'll talk it over with the other admins and see what they have to say about it.

#5 User is offline   krazytsi 

• I live here!
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 February 2009 - 11:36 AM

Its very reasonable why you have it set that way, so i would understand it staying that way.

#6 User is offline   PullOver! 

• Hive Mind Honorary Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I like hitting fuel cut while listening to White Snake.
  • Vehicle:91 TSi FWD red and black w/ f. capacitor

Posted 09 February 2009 - 12:43 PM

QUOTE (turboinline4 @ Feb 9 2009, 10:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sam, you hit the nail right on the head. I wished I could do it where you could edit the classifieds and nothing else. But, I don't. The reason we have it set up the way it is, is we don't want someone to start talking trash and then edit the post and pretend it never happened. I'll talk it over with the other admins and see what they have to say about it.

There's an easy way to fix this... and we used to go through this all the time on a much larger forum I used to visit. When someone would say something regrettable, you just quote it... done deal. Nobody can edit anyone else's post... and it makes the person that tries editing a trash talking post look even dumber when they edit but someone has already quoted them. It's kinda like... hey, we can all see your vagina... even though you're attempting to cover it.

I kinda thought this was the reason we weren't allowed to edit... This would also make a good change if you allowed editing because people could append to writeups they do to accomplish certain things.... or if someone that's not a moderator make a guide and decides later it needs to be changed, they don't have to go bugging anyone or doing anything to get it changed.

I don't think trash talking has a place here anyway... and even if it does happen, I think it would be a bit childish to later on try to dig up some old ass post saying, "seee seeeeee nah nah nah, you're wrong, you did say that... booya, I win you lose..." My eyes and my memory are good enough to remember that someone said something stupid, and I believe most people here are the same. It's a public forum and if someone really says something dumb, multiple people will see it and you can't really argue with 5 vs. 1 saying you said stupid shit. Pulling the post is moot at that point.

#7 User is offline   krazytsi 

• I live here!
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 February 2009 - 01:05 PM

Thats a good point as well

#8 User is offline   turbobitch 

• Queen of Deals
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Vehicle:Spark 5

Posted 09 February 2009 - 02:04 PM

I personally think it should be left the way it is. Especially in the classifieds, I think it is a better idea to add a post if you're updating your list or adding more parts as this will also bring your thread to the top of the list again. If you are just editing your original post, then it doesn't show up at the top of anyone's "Newest Posts" lists if they view the forum that way.

If someone wants to have clutter deleted or a list consolidated in the classified section, they can contact a Mod/Admin.

#9 User is offline   PullOver! 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 February 2009 - 03:19 PM

I think that's overkill... we're not children here. You can bump posts, and people that get too bump happy can be warned.

#10 User is offline   turbobitch 

• Queen of Deals
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 February 2009 - 03:42 PM

Just my opinion, but bumping posts is stupid and useless. I can't stand seeing "bump" or "ttt" posts.

#11 User is offline   krazytsi 

• I live here!
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 February 2009 - 03:47 PM

Im not so much interested in my post being moved to the top or anything. I more concerned with keeping all my parts updated and making sure its easy to navigate through the thread. But im also not in a hurry to sell any of my stuff, bumping may be more improtant to someone trying get stuff sold.

#12 User is offline   sam 

• Resident Pinhead
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 February 2009 - 03:59 PM

Bumping posts is acceptable on other forums, but this one doesn't generate the traffic for it to make sense.

krazytsi - List all your parts for sale at the start of the thread. As stuff is sold, reply to your own thread and note that those items are sold. When you have new stuff for sale that wasn't included in the original post, it probably makes the most sense to start a new thread.

This post has been edited by samiam: 09 February 2009 - 04:08 PM

#13 User is offline   joel_teal99gst 

• Electrons>Me
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:music and cars, what else is there?
  • Vehicle:1999 Eclipse GS-T

Posted 09 February 2009 - 04:24 PM

QUOTE (samiam @ Feb 9 2009, 02:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bumping posts is acceptable on other forums, but this one doesn't generate the traffic for it to make sense.

krazytsi - List all your parts for sale at the start of the thread. As stuff is sold, reply to your own thread and note that those items are sold. When you have new stuff for sale that wasn't included in the original post, it probably makes the most sense to start a new thread.

+1. besides, when a topic is 3 pages long, its hard to always realize that you need to go to page one to see updated stuff. replying makes the topic more fluid, just like a conversation. Isn't that what forums are all about? thumbsup.gif

#14 User is offline   PullOver! 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 February 2009 - 04:27 PM

QUOTE (turbobitch @ Feb 9 2009, 02:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just my opinion, but bumping posts is stupid and useless. I can't stand seeing "bump" or "ttt" posts.

It doesn't have to say "bump" and I don't know what ttt means... it can, however, say "parts list updated" if the poster wants to put their post back to the top. I don't think individuals that have already gone through the getting 50 posts to post in the classifieds should be further limited by not being allowed to edit posts. This is the ONLY forum I have ever seen that is like this. I'm not saying it's wrong, I'm saying it's cumbersome and I don't think I, or anyone else, should have to contact a moderator and take away from their time that could be used doing actual moderation to edit a post that's for sale. What happens when it's a person that is still accepted to be allowed on the forums and they're selling something but the moderators for whatever reason don't like this person? (yes there are people like that here, and no I'm not naming names). I don't think the moderators are going to move too quick to service this person's request. Maybe there's too many moderators for such a small forum.

QUOTE (joel_teal99gst @ Feb 9 2009, 03:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
+1. besides, when a topic is 3 pages long, its hard to always realize that you need to go to page one to see updated stuff. replying makes the topic more fluid, just like a conversation. Isn't that what forums are all about? thumbsup.gif

Well if it's hard to realize that's called inexperience. There is a view new posts button, and once more you can navigate EASILY to the last page of a topic and read the last reply. I don't read all the replies prior in a thread that I've already read each reply as it was made from the beginning. Another moot point.

This post has been edited by PullOver!: 09 February 2009 - 04:29 PM

#15 User is offline   skywalker18 

• Wastegates are for Pussies.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Vehicle:95 GS-T

Posted 10 February 2009 - 06:11 PM

QUOTE (PullOver! @ Feb 9 2009, 03:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There is a view new posts button, and once more you can navigate EASILY to the last page of a topic and read the last reply.

The "view new posts" button DOES NOT include edits. When you edit an original post in a thread, it will not add it to the list of "new posts."

#16 User is offline   PullOver! 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 February 2009 - 07:21 PM

that's why you can bump a thread w/ RELEVANT info... such as "I have edited the original post"... instead of... "oh here's some more info that's relevant to the original post... so go ahead and wade through all these other replies to piece together my info as a "whole""... this seriously doesn't make any sense.

And this is why I didn't care to make this suggestion (or any other ones)... they're shot down pretty easily by the north dallas "hive mind".

#17 User is offline   krazytsi 

• I live here!
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 February 2009 - 11:25 PM

QUOTE (PullOver! @ Feb 10 2009, 06:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
that's why you can bump a thread w/ RELEVANT info... such as "I have edited the original post"... instead of... "oh here's some more info that's relevant to the original post... so go ahead and wade through all these other replies to piece together my info as a "whole""... this seriously doesn't make any sense.

And this is why I didn't care to make this suggestion (or any other ones)... they're shot down pretty easily by the north dallas "hive mind".

This, to me, is a big deal. Because on my nissian forumns someone has an on going parts list and instead of editing the original post he just creates new replys. This become very monotonous when its 7 pages long. You have to wade through everybodys posts, instead of just checking the main source.

#18 User is offline   skywalker18 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 February 2009 - 11:33 PM

QUOTE (PullOver! @ Feb 10 2009, 06:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Seriously, what is your problem Jonathan?

To begin with. I am not in North Dallas, I am a mid-cities guy.

In this thread, we haven't shot you down. We have considered your opinion, and do talk about it. What most of you members don't know, is we have a separate forum where all the moderators talk with each other about topics such as modifying the site and have meetings where we talk about running the site. Remember, we all do this in our free time, therefore it does take some time for things to take affect.

What you are saying is add a relevant post saying, "I have edited the OP." This does exactly what you were trying to avoid, adding clutter. Although it is relevant to the OP, it still adds one more to the list on that page. Like I said, we aren't shooting it down. We are simply seeing it from every angle. EDIT: I just realized, I do this exact thing on my classified ads that are on here and other boards. I just assumed that everyone could do it, and didn't realize it was only because I was a Mod...... Oops. That would make us in agreement. I am leaving my original text there so you can still see it, and that way you don't think I am giving into the "hive mind" or whatever.

Most importantly,
The majority of the posts that you have made (here and in other threads), have you pointing the finger at all the moderators and saying that we are running this site poorly. This is me, calling you out. What is your problem? How have we done you "wrong", as you make it seem?

This is not meant to be disrespectful or to cause drama, we are adults and can act that way. It is purely an observation I have made and I would like to know why. Mainly, because I find it degrading to myself. I bust my ass in my free time (the little that I have) to help run this site for the members here. All the snide remarks, I have seen lately, poking at the moderators is a slap in the face for me. I think we do a pretty damn good job.

#19 User is offline   Runt 

• Benevolent Leader Hess
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Making Ligo feel like a real woman.
  • Vehicle:Not A 95 Eagle Talon RS

Posted 11 February 2009 - 01:29 AM

My board is set up the same way, editing your posts in a privilege not a right, and as such I've set it up so that people that donate can edit their own threads. As mentioned it is a global setting for any particular member group and cannot be specified for a particular forum.

I think you guys do an ok job, I mean you're not me, but you're alright tongue.gif

Runt

#20 User is offline   skywalker18 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 February 2009 - 08:50 AM

QUOTE (Runt @ Feb 11 2009, 12:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My board is set up the same way, editing your posts in a privilege not a right, and as such I've set it up so that people that donate can edit their own threads. As mentioned it is a global setting for any particular member group and cannot be specified for a particular forum.

I think you guys do an ok job, I mean you're not me, but you're alright tongue.gif

Runt

The moderators have been talking about this in particular.

I aspire to be like the benevolent leader Hess!!

#21 User is offline   PullOver! 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 February 2009 - 10:04 AM

I don't have a problem, and I'm not making this personal. I don't believe I have made any pokes at any moderator in particular... and to be honest there is a "club house" being played here.

How many moderators are not from North Dallas now? Two? Then again this is "dallas dsm". I have been a member of our "local" forum since the dfwdsm days.

This is not the point of this thread. Editing posts has no down side. If you want to talk about clutter, people should be warned about posts like "lol" or anything else that is a one word reply or a small bit of info that really benefits nothing in the thread. I don't care if anything else in this forum can be constantly edited, but there IS NO GOOD REASON to not allow the poster of a classified ad the ability to edit their original post until all the items are sold. I have not seen ONE good reason posted yet (yes, even from the moderation team). You can call me out, but at least stand up for something that's worth standing up for. Just because you guys talked about something in the tree house doesn't mean that it's valid to just say, "this is the way it is." Sure it's your forum, but you will turn new members away with these crappy "our way or the highway and we're not going to REALLY ever do what you ask" attitude.

I am highly considering making a forum for Fort Worth and I know someone's going to pop up and say, well good luck running one, it's not as easy as you think. It IS as easy as I KNOW... and I will not limit what people can talk about there, nor will I have half of the active members being moderators. Since we're already pretty segregated I know this isn't going to make a huge difference to anyone. I know other members here that feel the same way as I do. I also know people that own DSMs that WON'T EVEN REGISTER a name on this site because of the people that post here are too arrogant and hard headed. I may not necessarily agree with that, nor is it my own personal view... but I think these things mean something and they're not to be shoved off as "we don't need this person anyway."

Now, I know it's cool and hip amongst the friends to have this "I don't give a crap about new people ever joining this site, or if anyone agrees with me" frame of mind and show it off at any possible chance... but it's really not taking into account that you're not going to rule DSM's for ever... the new members are going to have ideas that you never thought of and are quick to flag as stupid, but they're going to be taking your place some day and pushing what you once loved and called your own.

Past all this, here is my "I dont' give a shit" attitude. You guys do what you want anyway... who cares what anyone else says.

#22 User is offline   PullOver! 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 February 2009 - 10:25 AM

I NEVER once made a post here pointing the finger at any one person OR said that this site is being run poorly.... so let's not put words in my mouth if we're having an "intelligent" conversation amongst adults.

#23 User is offline   turbobitch 

• Queen of Deals
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 February 2009 - 12:19 PM

Sorry Jonathan but when you make comments like this:

I do see that as pointing fingers and also take that as a personal insult. I know the rest of the moderation team and myself included have tried to keep open minds and keep this site running for the benefit of EVERYONE. But you (Yes this is me pointing a finger at YOU) have recently been a constant thorn in everyone's side.

I see the constant bitching and moaning about setting up meets and events in Ft. Worth...."Why can't we have anything in Ft. Worth..." yet no one seems to understand what it takes to set up an event or even a "hey, lets go grab some food" type of thing. There is NO STOPPING anyone from the west side of the metroplex in doing the same thing! I understand that the short notice/on the spot things are going to be more centralized in each area, but when you actually put some planning forth for a larger event it is nice to see more people to be able to make it from both sides. And lately we have been trying to get more central or west side events organized, but some people just don't understand what it takes. I don't blame anyone for not planning something near their home area, why would they try and plan an event for a part of town they have no idea about? I would think that would be something simple to understand and maybe help encourage the FW guys to participate more and plan more events.

I have even worked to set up the Road Racing thing coming up in a little over a week, this is in the FW guys back yard. Yet is there even a single soul signed up for that yet? This is an event I am driving OVER 80 MILES to get to and organize, but its probably going to go completely unappreciated and I will almost bet that there with be more more of the "dallas hive mind" people attending than anyone from FW.

This isn't even just a FW vs Dallas guys thing either. You guys seem to completely forget about the Denton area guys, yet I don't think I have ever heard them bitch about meets and when and where they are. If they can make it, great, if not....they'll try for the next one.

I'm just going to stop now because this whole topic is just irritating. I don't think think the mod/admin team and I know myself has never felt of this forum as being an Us vs Them sort of thing, but it sure seems to be headed that way lately, and it has nothing to do with anyone from the mod/admin staff.

#24 User is offline   PullOver! 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 February 2009 - 12:45 PM

Well, I'm sorry for insulting anyone... it was never my intention. If you cannot take into account what the voice of the people have to say, then we have no need for a suggestions area.

With all these genius ideas flying around how come nobody has suggest to extend the time that a post can be edited, if anything it's WAY too short. We can bring other topics into this one topic and take turns telling me why I'm "wrong" but it's not moving forward to accomplish the goal of making the forum a better place... guess what, I didn't even post this thread, I agreed with the OP.

IIRC Casey said, and I quote...
The reason we have it set up the way it is, is we don't want someone to start talking trash and then edit the post and pretend it never happened.

He owns the site... and he said this is the reason. Let me clue everyone reading this in on something that seems to be overlooked here. Forums... HAVE CLUTTER. There is no way to avoid this... unless there are no members of the forum... even then you're going to get the occasional bot joining the site and adding clutter. Bumping a post where someone is making monetary gain by selling parts is not, in my opinion, clutter.

You can say whatever you want in the private forum, you can call me a whiner or whatever you feel is necessary... but there are people that agree with me that won't even say anything because there's no point in a dictatorship... nobody wants to be put to fire for expressing their opinion.

If this isn't being shut down for making a suggestion, I don't know what is.

#25 User is offline   sam 

• Resident Pinhead
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 February 2009 - 12:54 PM

I think the thing that you're missing here is that the suggestion was heard, noted, reviewed, and denied.

I would like longer edit times as well, but for the classified section (despite your opinion) the system in place works perfectly fine. The threads rarely go over one page, and updating the thread with parts that are sold accomplishes two things 1) It updates the list of parts that are available and 2) bumps the post to the top.

Really what you're saying is that you don't think you should have to read the useless bullshit between the first post and the last. I agree completely, but since you can't ask (or force, apparently) members here to keep their bullshit out of an otherwise useful thread, you're just going to have to suck it up and read it all. If it's not worth the effort then you probably didn't need the parts that badly anyway.

I genuinely don't care one way or the other, and I am enjoying the drama that is this thread since it has nothing to do with me, but thought I would add my opinion on yours.

Continue.

EDIT: As for the factions of members - they've always been there. I'm friends with certain people which means that I can't be friends with others, etc. It's regrettable and stupid, but that's just the way it is. You're always going to have "cliques" in a situation like this one.

This post has been edited by samiam: 11 February 2009 - 01:01 PM

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users